Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
HOME FORUM HELP DKP SEARCH LOGIN REGISTER 
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Advice on TV  (Read 8359 times)
Asmo
Mascot
2girls1cup

Chage has come to America.

View Profile Email
« on: January 16, 2010, 01:49:03 PM »

Hail people of Casual, your services have been called upon. So I got a job offer yesterday which I took which means Emi has given me the nod that I can get a tv. I remember looking around in London before I came over I was really partial to the Panasonic Viera series. I did a bit of light research and this TV really stood out as getting a lot of great reviews and not being extortionately priced.

http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/panasonic-tc-p54g10/4014-6482_7-33497902.html?zip=98052&x=11&y=6

So two questions really. Any of you guys bought tvs recently and have any thoughts on your research, also where would be the best place to buy this?

Oh, I'm also going to be picking up a new PS3. Best place for getting this?
Stent
Administrator
Hungry Wizard

pride and prejudice and zombies

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 02:49:03 PM »

the vieras are nice, the new vizios that are releasing now are the bee's knees. get something at least 120hz (i dont know if the 240s are out in the market yet)

as far as TV software goes, the '10s samsungs and vizios are the way to go.  also, not sure how much streaming you do, but i seem to remember the panasonics having an insanely small memory buffer, so they always run into buffering issues when playing online content.

let me know if you want to talk about it, i know more about this than i probably should

‹aquashee› e equals mass times deez nuts, biatch
Asmo
Mascot
2girls1cup

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 03:08:43 PM »

Just been to Sears. Veering towards a samsung (LN52B750). After seeing the two next to each other. The samsung is also 240, so they are in the market.
Branical
Mascot
goatse

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2010, 01:59:22 AM »

I bought a 48" Panasonic Viera from Best Buy (3 years, 0% interest) last year and I really like it. My only complaint is that you can't set custom widths.
Olldrac
Guild Member
2girls1cup

MSN Messenger - itheone@msn.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 07:07:16 AM »

I just purchased a Panasonic Viera plasma this past holiday season (specifically http://www2.panasonic.com/consumer-electronics/shop/Televisions/All-VIERA-Flat-Panel-HDTVs/model.TC-P42S1.O_11002_7000000000000005702#tabsection)  and I  am really enjoying it.

I have very low light environment which is the perfect condition for plasma.

Before this television I have owned a Sony rear projection and a Toshiba Regza LCD.

I was sprung onto plasma's by my company owner whom had purchased a Panasonic a few years ago and I thought as compared with LCD's that the blacks are much blacker and they don't get horrible bleed through that is present in allot of LCD.

My advice is be patient, wait until the television you decide on is on sale, and I highly recommend you purchase something from a local retailer VS e-tailer and not only is it instant gratification, but you just bring it back if you don't like it.

I have had almost every experience purchasing expensive sensitive electronics online go absolutely horrible, that plus think about the nonsense you would have to go through if you receive damaged product, DOA, or the many other issues that can happen in transit.

I purchased my TV on sale at Best Buy for maybe 20 or 30 dollars more than it could be had online and didn't have to deal with "white glove delivery" which is often a couple of brutish people that hate their jobs and just want to dump your "sensitive shit" on the doorstep and leave asap.

I can't say much else, but go and look at the TV and see if it's right for you.

Piston
Mascot
goatse

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 08:22:59 AM »

I got a 42 inch tv. for my mommy for xmas from Costco. 1080. It was only 449$. It was a good upgrade from her 19 incher.

thefalah
Mascot
lemonparty

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 12:39:03 PM »

Well I bought a 46 inch Sony last year from Sears. I found the best deals were at Best Buy and also Sears. Also if you get a Sears card there's some good deals on the more expensive tvs(of course pay the card off right away).

Fuck that stupid bulldog.

Obama/Biden 2008
Asmo
Mascot
2girls1cup

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 01:32:20 PM »

Television Update:

So we ended up buying a 50" Panasonic Viera from Sears. We paid $775 before tax for it. We got 10% off because we bought a floor model since they were completely out of stock and it was apparant after looking around on the internet that this item was discontinued, hence the low price. We got it home and plugged it in and to much sadness the first thing I noticed was screen burn of the set up menu on the left hand side that was really bad. You could clearly read the lettering when the screen was black. We are going to return it tonight and have a look at the other floor model they had in store to check for screen burn. If neither works I'm pretty sure we're going to go to Best Buy and purchase this:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Panasonic+-+VIERA+/+58%22+Class+/+1080p+/+600Hz+/+Plasma+HDTV/9431279.p?id=1218104303192&skuId=9431279

The box is too big for us to take it home ourselves so we would have to go with the delivery option but I would imagine that since Best Buy handle their own deliveries they would actually take care of it....hopefully.
Stent
Administrator
Hungry Wizard

pride and prejudice and zombies

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 02:35:31 PM »

they deliver fine, and they match pricing for other stores.  what i did when i bought my bravia from best buy was, I went to fry's, took a picture of the same TV on sale for $300 less than best buy, went straight to best buy and got that price and free delivery.

i would have just bought it at fry's, but i couldnt fit it in the car i had then

‹aquashee› e equals mass times deez nuts, biatch
Uhuru
Mr.Hands

8 year olds, dude.

AOL Instant Messenger - uhuru+lol
View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 03:04:45 PM »

they deliver fine, and they match pricing for other stores.  what i did when i bought my bravia from best buy was, I went to fry's, took a picture of the same TV on sale for $300 less than best buy, went straight to best buy and got that price and free delivery.

i would have just bought it at fry's, but i couldnt fit it in the car i had then

Did you have a Geo Metro?

Olldrac
Guild Member
2girls1cup

MSN Messenger - itheone@msn.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 03:21:54 PM »

That Panasonic is the same series plasma I have and it is very nice, I think you'll be happy with it if purchased.

And indeed the box was enormous with my 42 inch in fact I ended up having to take it out of the box and lay it in the back because the box was too thick to fit in the trunk, so I can imagine that it is a beast for the 58.

thefalah
Mascot
lemonparty

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 05:42:08 PM »

Take it out of the box...seriously...that's what I had to do. It wouldn't fit in the trunk, but it fit in the back seat,but go back for the box in case you have to return it. Then I had to call someone to help me bring it in the house. Fuck paying for delivery.

Fuck that stupid bulldog.

Obama/Biden 2008
Asmo
Mascot
2girls1cup

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2010, 11:16:04 AM »

We ended up buying this as BestBuy instead as it came out a little bit cheaper and they didn't have the Panasonic in stock.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+58"+Class+/+1080p+/+600Hz+/+Plasma+HDTV/9238826.p?id=1218065495493&skuId=9238826 <http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+58%22+Class+/+1080p+/+600Hz+/+Plasma+HDTV/9238826.p?id=1218065495493&skuId=9238826>

It arrives on Wednesday and it'll probably take up half the lounge. With some cabling, a screen cleaner and a surge protector the whole thing came is just under $2k with tax and it's got a lot of great reviews so fingers crossed.

Thanks for the advice all and hopefully this is the end of this TV purchasing fiasco.
monmoth
Guild Member
Hungry Wizard

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2010, 12:38:36 PM »

My dad bought that exact TV a while ago and it looks great. You'll enjoy it.
Asmo
Mascot
2girls1cup

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2010, 02:27:28 PM »

Fuck me it's big.
Pages: [1] 2 Print

« previous next »
Jump to:  

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function show_bottomAds()