Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
HOME FORUM HELP DKP SEARCH LOGIN REGISTER 
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Indiana Jones and the Abomination of the Fourth Installment  (Read 6165 times)
Olldrac
Guild Member
2girls1cup

MSN Messenger - itheone@msn.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2008, 11:55:34 AM »

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/1999/SimonFung.shtml

Arkada
lemonparty

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2008, 12:16:36 PM »

http://hypertextbook.com/facts/1999/SimonFung.shtml

That doesn't really answer it.

It wouldn't have been hot in the refrigerator guys.  He was not in the epicenter of the explosion.  It's also a flash temperature and would only be really hot for a second or 2.  Inside a refrigerator would actually the perfect place unless you have a lead lined basement to hide in.
Gasmask
Administrator
2girls1cup

Smell my finger

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2008, 01:14:08 PM »

It wouldn't have been hot in the refrigerator guys.  He was not in the epicenter of the explosion.  It's also a flash temperature and would only be really hot for a second or 2.  Inside a refrigerator would actually the perfect place unless you have a lead lined basement to hide in.

Ok, so yeah, apparently if he was close enough to get hot, he'd be dead in a million other ways.  However, from what I've read, such a refrigerator doesn't offer enough thickness to block out the gamma rays.  Along with fallout, you'd pretty much be growing a 3rd arm regardless.

Marx/Lenin '08
Vindra
Mascot
2girls1cup

Here on level 1 of robot hell

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2008, 02:13:02 PM »

Let us assume for the moment that being inside a lead lined refrigerator is sufficient in the eyes of physics and biology to walk away unharmed as he did in the movie.  Here is the problem: manufacturing.  Refrigerators, even a lead lined one, are designed to remove heat from the inside compartment.  Motors, hoses, vents, and other such devices are needed to perform these tasks.  Refrigerators are not air tight.  A refrigerator is nothing but a giant sink in energy use, you pay twice the amount of energy to keep food cool because you are fighting several laws of physics.  In order for our fridge to in fact protect the hero it cannot have openings for radiation or heat to seep into, but that violates what a refrigerator is manufactured to do.

That is one magical refrigerator.
Samslara
Mascot
meatspin

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2008, 02:39:07 PM »

A refrigerator can be air tight when closed, it's the thermal contacts with the evaporator and condenser units inside and outside that makes the fridge cold.  If all the external parts are also lead-lined, and if that lead is enough to shield the radiation, then the only issue is the heat itself.  The walls of the fridge are probably air filled like a thermos, and since air is a poor conductor of heat, it would makes thermal conductivity of the fridge walls low.  Since the fridge was a mock fridge for that mock town, then the compressor pipes might have also been filled with just air so it may have not conducted enough heat into the fridge during the blast.  Also, from memory, Indy was burried a bit after the blast.  The burying may have insulated the heat further.
Deepz
Administrator
Hungry Wizard

WHO WANTS SOME FUCKING NESQUIK?

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2008, 02:40:43 PM »

I gotta say, at this point the length of this conversation is way out of proportion to my interest in it.
Vindra
Mascot
2girls1cup

Here on level 1 of robot hell

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2008, 05:43:44 PM »

A refrigerator can be air tight when closed, it's the thermal contacts with the evaporator and condenser units inside and outside that makes the fridge cold.  If all the external parts are also lead-lined, and if that lead is enough to shield the radiation, then the only issue is the heat itself.  The walls of the fridge are probably air filled like a thermos, and since air is a poor conductor of heat, it would makes thermal conductivity of the fridge walls low.  Since the fridge was a mock fridge for that mock town, then the compressor pipes might have also been filled with just air so it may have not conducted enough heat into the fridge during the blast.  Also, from memory, Indy was burried a bit after the blast.  The burying may have insulated the heat further.

Air tight =/= radiation proof.  The fridge is going to have way too many spots where lead doesn't even cover let alone be thick enough to stop the radiation.  What is this the 50s?  Should I cover my head and hide under my desk to stay safe ?
Samslara
Mascot
meatspin

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2008, 12:05:42 PM »

Air tight =/= radiation proof.  The fridge is going to have way too many spots where lead doesn't even cover let alone be thick enough to stop the radiation.  What is this the 50s?  Should I cover my head and hide under my desk to stay safe ?

That's true that air tight =/= radiation proof but that's why I made a point about being lead lined.  If the whole thing was lined with lead such that it pretty much forms a closed lead shell, including condenser pipes and all, and if the lead were thick enough to ward away the radiation then I could kinda see it being enough to save Indy.
Varesh
tubgirl

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2008, 01:47:29 PM »

That's true that air tight =/= radiation proof but that's why I made a point about being lead lined.  If the whole thing was lined with lead such that it pretty much forms a closed lead shell, including condenser pipes and all, and if the lead were thick enough to ward away the radiation then I could kinda see it being enough to save Indy.

Which begs the question... why the fuck would anyone design a refrigerator in such a fashion?
Arkada
lemonparty

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2008, 02:02:19 PM »

The refrigerator would only have to be shielded on the side facing the detonation.  Fallout would not be an issue unless the wind blew it towards him. 

Now back to turning into a large feline beast and attacking shadow bolting demons.
Hrafnkel
Updater
goatse

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2008, 07:35:52 PM »

Its no more ridiculous than any other Indiana Jones movie where an Adventurer with a whip beats an entire division of Nazi special forces.

The script sucked in every other aspect.

I am the worst kind of person.
Pages: 1 [2] Print

« previous next »
Jump to:  

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function show_bottomAds()