Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
HOME FORUM HELP DKP SEARCH LOGIN REGISTER 
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Cata 10/25 man raiding  (Read 5435 times)
monmoth
Guild Member
Hungry Wizard

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2010, 06:12:22 PM »

I understand why they are making these changes. It just seems like all the hard work that goes in to making 25man raiding more lucrative is being done away with. It will come down whether or not the extra loot is significant enough to encourage 25 man raiding still. In no way does this mean the end of the game, there is no sky falling on our heads. I bet what will happen is that there will be a lot more 10 man guilds that 25s. It will be interesting to see what guilds stay as 25 mans or split in to 10s.

*Edit* I posted as veal was posting. That is what it will come down to,if they can balance everything. If they can make 10s as hard as 25s(by whatever means necessary) it will be a good change for the game. They do have a lot of hurdles to over come though, like the number of buffs and class specific abilities everyone has. I remember reading that they wanted to tone down buffs so its good when you have them but it isn't so punishing when you don't. They have their work cut out for them. I'm going to reserve my opinion until the beta is out for a while.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 06:21:19 PM by monmoth » Logged
Southy
Guild Member
goatse

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2010, 09:43:57 AM »

The difference between going from 40 to 25 and 25 to 10 is that nobody had ever done 25 mans, and they turned out reasonably well. Everyone has done 10 mans, and they have been, almost without fail, disgustingly easy (sarth, lk). Obviously only needing 10 people is more convenient, but if we get the same level of difficulty we have so far then I don't know that the trade off is worth it.

I guess we'll see.
fadedtimes
Guild Member
lemonparty

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2010, 11:47:10 AM »

I think they can make the extra loot worth doing 25mans. May be 25's does a guaranteed trinket drop on bosses that give trinkets, and/or weapons. Perhaps 3 tier piece drops in 25m vs 1 in 10m.

I see the loot ratio being 2 to 5, 10m vs 25m in quantity. I doubt they go with a 1 to 3 ratio. Badges may be they go with the 1 to 3. They have to make the 25 rewards worthwhile or a lot of guilds will stop running them all together.

I played EQ with 72 and 54 man raids. Vanilla with 40. Going down to only 10's sounds awful.
emi
Mascot
2girls1cup

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2010, 12:05:06 PM »

They wont make 10s as hard as 25 bc of group comp and catering to casuals. Look around Dalaran and you will see terribads in full 251 at least right now. This is just gonna make it as if they were in full 264.
It's lame, because 10 man can never be as interesting or complicated as 25. Raid comp just won't allow it.

I wish they would just make 10 man specific instances like in the past (a la Zul XYZ) but God forbid they use our monthly fees to make more raid content.

I think that's what makes this even worse. The fact that we HAD 10 man specific instances and then they took it away. It wouldn't feel so crappy if we'd never known it to begin with. It makes them look lazier, emphasizes the fact that when you're in a 10 man version of an instance you think "this COULD have been a completely different and new zone but instead bc they're lazy I'm farming the same old content." It makes you feel like they've cut something whereas you wouldn't have noticed a lack of content implementation otherwise.

monmoth
Guild Member
Hungry Wizard

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2010, 04:26:28 PM »

I think that's what makes this even worse. The fact that we HAD 10 man specific instances and then they took it away. It wouldn't feel so crappy if we'd never known it to begin with. It makes them look lazier, emphasizes the fact that when you're in a 10 man version of an instance you think "this COULD have been a completely different and new zone but instead bc they're lazy I'm farming the same old content." It makes you feel like they've cut something whereas you wouldn't have noticed a lack of content implementation otherwise.

I wouldn't agree with this. If they went the route your suggesting we wouldn't magically have twice as much content (a whole new 10 man instance as well a whole new 25 every major content patch). In fact I bet there would be fewer 10/25 man raids becuase they have to spend a more time making up two new zones instead of one. Your suggestion would only work if they hired another team of people to work on 10 man raids. That doesn't even take in to account the extra artists they would need to make the art work for 2 separate raids. If you want to argue they have the money for that I'm sure they do but they could easily hire those people to do both 10/25mans.

Going this route kinda sucks for the players that like having better quality items than someone who only does 10 man raids. That's only a small portion of the population though. On blizzards end it must be a nightmare coming up with 4 tiers of loot that are all fully itemized and all have different art work. Instead they will only have to do two tiers of loot with this system. I would almost argue the fact that they can do more content this way.

One last thing to think about is if they did 10 mans separate from 25 mans most people wouldn't see 25 man content. How many people saw more than just the first or second boss in Sunwell. This was a big problem back in the 40 man days. As a developer you don't want to spend months of dev time on something only 2-3% of your population is going to see. Like I said before though it will all come down to their tuning and we'll see how that goes in the beta.
emi
Mascot
2girls1cup

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2010, 04:32:36 PM »

I'm saying it makes it FEEL like we're being screwed out of content. Right now it certainly feels this way cause we have to do the same instance 2x per week. And I'm saying what makes it feel that way is that we used to have separate 10 man instances.

Vurin
Guild Member
lemonparty

View Profile Email
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2010, 04:37:57 PM »

Its almost going to be a given that the release cata content is by and large going to be tuned to be quite easy. at least the normal modes. so there will be plenty of time to feel out the differences between 10 and 25 mans loot drops and how difficult hard modes are.
Deepz
Administrator
Hungry Wizard

WHO WANTS SOME FUCKING NESQUIK?

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2010, 04:46:31 PM »

It will be hilarious to see how much more loot 25's drop, since a 30 man roster can either get one 25-man's worth of loot per lockout, or three 10 man's worth of loot.
Dleduc02

Email
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2010, 05:59:30 PM »

It will be hilarious to see how much more loot 25's drop, since a 30 man roster can either get one 25-man's worth of loot per lockout, or three 10 man's worth of loot.

You mean one 10 man's worth of loot, and 3 guys who get to whine on the forums because nobody showed up.
Pages: 1 [2] Print

« previous next »
Jump to:  

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function show_bottomAds()