Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
HOME FORUM HELP DKP SEARCH LOGIN REGISTER 
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: thread to update me on status of arena disaster while I work  (Read 8075 times)
Bag
Guild Member
Mr.Hands

View Profile Email
« on: January 21, 2009, 07:22:10 AM »

Like Broseph Stalin, you are leading the way to the dictatorship of the broletariate. It is truly revbrolutionary. Like the Bro v. Wade of our generation. You brobliterate the enemy from the very peak of Mt. Brolympus. That's some shit. That's brolific. But that's the kind of bro you are.
Piston
Mascot
goatse

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2009, 07:51:48 AM »

Quote from: Wryxian, With the release of patch 3.0.8 we have implemented a new matchmaking system for arenas that will improve the overall system and help ensure that players will be matched against others of equal skill. The new matchmaking system uses a rating that you cannot see, and is separate for each of the arena brackets.

The rating changes at the end of each match are affected by this new system, and as it just came out, there may initially be some odd behavior in rating changes, but these will straighten out fairly quickly.

We will monitor this new system and update it as needed to help provide the best experience possible in arena matches.

So it is working as intended.....

Bag
Guild Member
Mr.Hands

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2009, 08:01:17 AM »

post is old news.  system is clearly broken and I'm confident that our friends at blizzard will resolve this unfortunate hiccup.  give me good news before I blow my head off, but not before quitting wow.

Like Broseph Stalin, you are leading the way to the dictatorship of the broletariate. It is truly revbrolutionary. Like the Bro v. Wade of our generation. You brobliterate the enemy from the very peak of Mt. Brolympus. That's some shit. That's brolific. But that's the kind of bro you are.
Piston
Mascot
goatse

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 08:03:05 AM »

You fail to understand what blizzard has done to the arena system.

Imagine if raid bosses dropped 10 pieces of gear every time you wipe on them. If you manage to kill the boss, every item you have equipped is destroyed.

That is what blizzard has done to the arena system. There is absolutely no correlation between success and reward anymore. Some people can get 2k plus even while losing, where as other people can win nearly all their games and go down in rating.

Bag
Guild Member
Mr.Hands

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 08:09:17 AM »

You fail to understand what blizzard has done to the arena system.

Imagine if raid bosses dropped 10 pieces of gear every time you wipe on them. If you manage to kill the boss, every item you have equipped is destroyed.

That is what blizzard has done to the arena system. There is absolutely no correlation between success and reward anymore. Some people can get 2k plus even while losing, where as other people can win nearly all their games and go down in rating.

Which is why it just must be a big mistake and we're all up in arms about nothing.  I mean they can't have failed to mention an utter and complete revamp of the most successful / popular part of wow PvP in patch notes anywhere at all.  It has to be just a big mixup and everything will be alright when I wake up.  Right?

Piston
Mascot
goatse

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 08:10:27 AM »

I think they just casualized it.

Bag
Guild Member
Mr.Hands

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 08:11:23 AM »

it's a mistake or I am actually quitting.  gotta be a mistake.  gotta be.

Deepz
Administrator
Hungry Wizard

WHO WANTS SOME FUCKING NESQUIK?

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 08:13:25 AM »

The new posts from Wryxian are just copies of Bornaxx's posts for the EU forums.  No new news has been released.  I'd imagine they are in "holy shit what the fuck happened?" mode.  They've had less than 24 hours to figure out what part of the code is fucked.
Bag
Guild Member
Mr.Hands

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 08:15:08 AM »

The new posts from Wryxian are just copies of Bornaxx's posts for the EU forums.  No new news has been released.  I'd imagine they are in "holy shit what the fuck happened?" mode.  They've had less than 24 hours to figure out what part of the code is fucked.

keep reassuring me.  I'm one step closer to the edge and I'm about to BREAK

Bag
Guild Member
Mr.Hands

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 08:16:00 AM »

Hacks
Mascot
meatspin

RED LIGHT CHALLENGE

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2009, 09:23:08 AM »

DIABLO DIABLO, WHEREFORE ART THOU DIABLO?

Piston
Mascot
goatse

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2009, 09:31:43 AM »

3.0.8 Arena
If you've read my articles here since WotLK started, you'd know that I've written many articles on how to improve the game including a thorough class balance analysis as well as countless detailed suggestions. That said, make no doubt about it, this article is a rant, and deservedly so. I believe the arena competitors, general playerbase, and myself deserve it.

Just when I thought arena couldn't get anymore stupid, Blizzard manages to prove me wrong. It's bad enough that the time investment for little to no gain beyond bragging rights is downright not worth the effort, or the fact that the queue times are absolutely ridiculous at higher ratings, but 3.0.8 was really just salt in the wounds. The old system had its flaws, but it never came to being anywhere close to as stupid as the new system already is.

What this patch has effectively done, to the best of my judgement, is basically remove the "risk" from the risk:reward equation when competing in arena. If you're high rated and you lose, you lose basically nothing. If you're low rated and you win, you gain rating at an astronomical rate. From what I was told, the reasoning behind this was to essentially "hyper accelerate players to the rating they 'should' be at." Of course, this new system is not only incredibly flawed, but completely undocumented and untested on the latest PTR, leaving internal testing as the only type done. Boy, I have high expectations for Ulduar already!

From what most people can gather, the new system basically uses a character's total amount of gear and ranks them accordingly with the combined and/or averaged weight of the item level of all of the gear in their possession. The reason why I personally feel this to be true is after playing lots of 3v3 games tonight, and ending with personal ratings of around 2850, 2900, and 2950 (roughly) on the 3 different classes makes it seem pretty obvious. The hunter who has the least amount of gear (because hunters only have 1 role/spec) had the highest PR because they had the lowest item level weight. The Death Knight (who has tanking and DPS gear) came in with the middle-value PR, and the paladin with gear for all 3 specs/roles game in with the lowest PR despite all of us playing an identical number of games (all of us have played 100%).

The biggest flaws here are not only the fact that personal ratings are completely and utterly broken (and thus completely trivialize achievements/titles such as Arena Master and Flawless Victor), but even if the PR changes wern't completely idiotic, the team rating changes themselves have been seemingly random with a huge number of reports that people's teams are receiving drastically different gains/losses from playing the same team.

This debacle has virtually invalidated this entire season to this point. Even though it's been a rather stupid season, you can't say that making everyone's efforts to this point worthless is a good decision. Simply put, the ladder is now more of a joke than it has ever been since the first arena season in TBC, people are getting gear, titles, and achievements that they simply do not deserve, and furthermore the system is easily exploitable with manipulation of the matchmaking system (specifically with regards to gear).

The only realistic way to solve this is to simply roll back the arena ladders, including all games played, all ratings earned/lost, all gear purchased, all points spent, all achievements and titles earned, and everything else in between back to the state that it was before the servers patched to 3.0.8. If the arena system stays in the current laughable and pathetic form that it is in now, I know for a fact that many people will outright quit the game as it completely ruins the one thing they enjoyed playing for still: the competitive ladder.

Greg, stop counting your money and start issuing orders.

Piston
Mascot
goatse

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2009, 09:34:53 AM »

and for a lol:

Now that you've made DKs weaker than warlocks how about giving us an MS equivalent so we can actually be useful in any arena bracket ?

Hacks
Mascot
meatspin

RED LIGHT CHALLENGE

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2009, 09:35:55 AM »

and for a lol:

Now that you've made DKs weaker than warlocks how about giving us an MS equivalent so we can actually be useful in any arena bracket ?

You were right. I lol'd.

Hacks
Mascot
meatspin

RED LIGHT CHALLENGE

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2009, 09:53:28 AM »

Yeah, I just read the entirety of Serennia's post on Wowriot, and I think I might wanna try frost mage/frost dk sometime.

Assuming Blizzard fixes arenas, of course.

Pages: [1] 2 Print

« previous next »
Jump to:  

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function show_bottomAds()