Welcome, %1$s. Please login or register.
HOME FORUM HELP DKP SEARCH LOGIN REGISTER 
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Home Theater/Appliance info for Best Buy job?  (Read 5950 times)
Branical
Mascot
goatse

View Profile Email
« on: June 08, 2010, 10:15:06 AM »

I have a job interview on Monday at Best Buy for either the Home Theater or Appliance section and I've never worked in these areas before, so I'm gathering a list of research topics so I have at least some knowledge going in.

Some things that I already know to look up for Home Theater are surround sound, LCD vs plasma, screen resolution, interlaced vs progressive, DVD vs Blu-ray, projection tvs, and connecting everything together.

For Appliances, all I can think of is the basic function of each machine and maybe the program that some of the new refrigerators come with.

Is there anything else for either category or just in general I should know for my interview?
Deepz
Administrator
Hungry Wizard

WHO WANTS SOME FUCKING NESQUIK?

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 10:18:54 AM »

They can train you on the technical stuff. They can't train you to be friendly and sociable with customers.  I'd imagine that is more along the lines of what they are looking for. The technical stuff won't hurt to know though.
Branical
Mascot
goatse

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 10:25:04 AM »

I have applied to around 15 stores and after going in and meeting with the hiring manager, Best Buy was the only one to call me back. I've got the friendly and sociable down, I just want to stack all the cards in my favor.
monmoth
Guild Member
Hungry Wizard

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 12:18:42 PM »

I'm not joking and I think I have an interview for the same job this Monday. I worked in retail before and it's all about being friendly. They can teach you whatever else you need to know. Appliance shopping/selling is mostly about size and needs. If it will fit , is it big enough, does it do what they need/want. Since appliances aren't really luxury items you have you sell them something to accommodate their lifestyle. That's been my experience talking to people that sold appliances.
Olldrac
Guild Member
2girls1cup

MSN Messenger - itheone@msn.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 12:38:54 PM »

Also for Home theater, you may want to read up on some of the newer developments in that area like what the different refresh rates mean to people, LED back lighting VS Cold cathode florescent lighting (CCFL), interface options that come on the newer televisions and the different standards and revisions associated  such as HDMI (HDMI 1.0, 1.1, 1.2,1.3, 1.3(rev b, c , and d), 1.4), display port, and DVI, 3D-HDTV and the differences between the different types of 3D that are available to the mass market.

Also one thing people seem to be oblivious to is the fact that HDMI is digital so it does not matter if you buy a $2 cable online or a $100 monster cable the output quality will always be the same.

There are some great articles about speaker wire if you Google that I found very useful (this is my personal favorite http://www.roger-russell.com/wire/wire.htm)

I was in sales for about 5 years and the best advice I can give is to just try and know more than the customer.

I can guarantee people will get technical with you and having the answer is allot better than being like "uhhh let me ask my manager", and not only that you lose the customers confidence in your abilities.

I am the type of person that knows exactly what I want when I go into a store to buy something and all I can say is that most of the floor sales that I have talked with regarding big ticket purchases did not have the technical answers I needed to finalize a decision.

Good luck!!

Branical
Mascot
goatse

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 04:37:39 PM »

Which store Monmoth?

Thanks for the info Olldrac, I'll definitely keep that in mind.
monmoth
Guild Member
Hungry Wizard

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 05:44:20 PM »

The one in El Cajon, its next to a Borders. It would be a very odd coincidence if you were being interviewed at a different location on the same day for the same positions.
Branical
Mascot
goatse

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 06:01:34 PM »

Haha, it is the same store.
Thelnie
Mascot
lemonparty

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 06:38:38 PM »

Be a bro and don't push the monster cables ^_^ <3

Shamlarie
Buttfart Rapedick
Mr.Hands

EXPERIENCE BEEJ!

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 08:15:03 PM »

Be a bro and don't push the monster cables ^_^ <3

Seconding this, fuck that company.

Deepz
Administrator
Hungry Wizard

WHO WANTS SOME FUCKING NESQUIK?

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 09:44:09 PM »

I'd agree, but those were the only guitar cables that didn't get completely thrashed when I played back in highschool.
Stent
Administrator
Hungry Wizard

pride and prejudice and zombies

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2010, 12:00:46 AM »

take him down branical. show no mercy. casually drop in the interview that the other guy interviewing has incredible flatulence

‹aquashee› e equals mass times deez nuts, biatch
Branical
Mascot
goatse

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2010, 12:28:10 AM »

take him down branical. show no mercy. casually drop in the interview that the other guy interviewing has incredible flatulence
I'm pretty sure his retail experience trumps mine :(

If you try to take Santee too, so help me God!
Branical
Mascot
goatse

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2010, 04:35:15 PM »

Did you get the job? I haven't received a call yet, so I'm sure I didn't get it.
monmoth
Guild Member
Hungry Wizard

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2010, 04:52:29 PM »

I had a 2ed interview on Thursday. They said I would probably hear back this weekend sometime after all the managers meet and see who they think is best/how many people they are looking to hire. I haven't heard anything back beyond that.
Pages: [1] 2 Print

« previous next »
Jump to:  

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function show_bottomAds()